Persone Studenti XXXVII ciclo Margarita Kokkorou
XXXVII ciclo Margarita Kokkorou
Curriculum: Food Science and Technology
Supervisor: Prof. Erminio Monteleone and Prof.ssa Sara Spinelli
Office address: via Donizetti, 6 - 50144 Firenze
Mobile phone: +44 7365844840
Margarita Kokkorou holds a BSc degree in Nutrition Science from the Alexander Technological Institute of Thessaloniki (GR) and a MSc degree in Human Nutrition with specialization in Clinical Nutrition from the University of Glasgow (UK). During her BSc degree she also participated in the Erasmus program at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam (NL) in a Minor in Health and Active Lifestyle. Her work experience includes a placement as a Clinical Dietitian at a public hospital in Greece, a post as a Research Assistant looking at the role of gut microbiota in patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) at the University of Glasgow, a post as a Nutritionist at a dietetic office in Athens (GR), a traineeship as a Public Health and Nutrition Trainee, analyzing unhealthy food marketing restrictions, at the Health in Society Unit of the Joint Research Center (JRC) of the European Commission (EC) in Ispra (IT) and a post as a Senior Policy and Public Affairs Officer, performing research and analysis of nutrition, physical activity and alcohol policies, at the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) International (UK).
Research interests and PhD project
Her main research interests include the promotion of healthy and sustainable diets, with particular focus on children and adolescents, and the translation of science into policy.
- Sagar, H. Duboc, G. Kay, A. Tauqeer, A. Wicaksono, J. Covington, C. Quince, M. Kokkorou, V. Svolos, L. Palmieri, K. Gerasimidis, J. Walters and R. Arasaradnam, 2020. The Pathophysiology Of Bile Acid Diarrhoea: Differences In The Colonic Microbiome, Metabolome And Bile Acids. SSRN. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3675450
- D. Edge, K. Oldridge-Turner. M. Kokkorou, I. Vlad, 2020. Policy Brief. Addressing childhood obesity across Europe: a review of a snapshot of diet and physical activity policies from the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal and the United Kingdom. World Obesity. Available at: https://www.worldobesity.org/downloads/healthy_voices_downloads/Brief_V1.4_W CRF_FINAL_.pdf
- E. Grammatikaki, A. Sarasa- Renedo, P. Maragkoudakis, R. Teixeira-Gomes-Cardoso, M. Kokkorou, B. Torighelli, J. Wollgast, S. Caldeira, Restrictions on marketing of food, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages to protect health, European Commission, 2019, JRC118693.
Conference talks and seminars
- K. Oldridge-Turner, I. Vlad, M. Kokkorou, D. Fanian, K-I. Klepp, A. Helleve, A-S. Fismen, J. Harbron, G. Hendricks, K. Allen. Benchmarking physical activity and nutrition policies in Europe: lessons from the CO-CREATE project. European Journal of Public Health, Volume 31, Issue Supplement_3, October 2021, ckab164.069, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckab164.069
- M. Kokkorou, K. Oldridge-Turner, I. Vlad, D. Fanian, K-I. Klepp, A. Helleve, A-S. Fismen, S. Malczyk, G. Hendricks, J. Harbron, K. Allen. Benchmarking physical activity in Europe: lessons from the CO-CREATE project. Oral presentation at the International Society for Physical Activity and Health (ISPAH) Congress 2021.
- A. Sarasa-Renedo, E. Grammatikaki, P-A. Maragkoudakis, M. Kokkorou, R. Cardoso, B. Torighelli, J. Wollgast, S. Caldeira. Marketing of alcoholic beverages: what can be done to protect the adults of the future? European Journal of Public Health, Volume 30, Issue Supplement_5, September 2020, ckaa165.073, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckaa165.073
- A. Sarasa-Renedo, E. Grammatikaki, P. Maragkoudakis, M. Kokkorou, R. Cardoso, B. Torighelli, J. Wollgast, S. Caldeira. Marketing of food, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages. A toolkit to support the development and update of codes of conduct. Nordic Public Health Conference 2020.
- E. Grammatikaki, M. Kokkorou, A. Renedo Sarasa, P. Maragkoudakis, R. Cardoso, S. Caldeira, J.Wollgast. Development of a toolkit to support food and alcoholic beverages marketing restrictions in the EU. International Symposium on Understanding the Double Burden of Malnutrition for Effective Interventions 2019. Available at: https://conferences.iaea.org/event/158/contributions/13062/contribution.pdf
- K.Gerasimidis, M. Kokkorou, M. McGowan, M. Rebull, Y. Koh, DR. Gaya, R. Hansen and K. Russell. Fermentation capacity of gut microbiota in patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease compared to healthy controls. BMJ, Volume 66, Issue Suppl 2, 2017.
- M. Kokkorou, M. McGowan, M. Rebull, Y. Koh, DR. Gaya, R. Hansen, K. Russell, K.Gerasimidis. Fermentation capacity of gut microbiota in patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease compared to healthy controls. Best oral presentation prize at Scottish Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (SSPGHAN) Annual Meeting 2016.